Re: Power Mac 6100/66

Op 14-sep-05 om 11:28 heeft Sven Luther het volgende geschreven:
On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 10:35:29AM +0200, Ernest Demaret wrote:
Op 14-sep-05 om 9:54 heeft Sven Luther het volgende geschreven:

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 08:41:52AM +0200, Ernest Demaret wrote:

Op 13-sep-05 om 18:09 heeft Sven Luther het volgende geschreven:

kernel-source-2.4.27 and kernel-patch-2.4.27-nubus should do
the
trick.

I tried that but couldn't get the kernel properly patched.
What can cause the kernel to be patched on one machine and not on
the
other?

Ah, maybe horms broke them while doing secutiry updates, in this
case, you
should file a bug report.

How do you do the patching anyway ?

I do the patching as I found described on the web:
From the kernel-source directory "zcat <patch> | patch -p0
It works but I get a lot of error messages along the way.
Files the patch can't find and such.

and what do you patch ? The debian kernel sources ? the upstream sources ?
Which version of them.

Debian kernel-source 2.4.27-10. What's an upstream source?

I'm not a programmer but a user who likes to experiment and try things
so I have to rely on what I find in manuals and howto's in the web.
It's a hobby and I learn on the way.

The more reason to try out the debian package, and provide a bug report if it
doesn't work, so more knowledgeable people can try fixing them.

Is it possible to identify the developer of a kernel? He
might be
able
to provide the tree from which my kernel is made of (which is

stable as
far as I've experienced).

No idea, but i doubt it is meaningfull to go hunting after a
the
history of a
given binary kernel, it is more constructive to start from the
existing source
code in the debian kernel. Did you try the sarge -nubus kernel
at
all ?

As far as I know the 2.4.27 kernel is the highest version for a
8100/110.
I haven't tried that, but if you think it might work I'll give it
try.

Please do, and file a bug report if it does not.

I found no sarge nubus-kernel at debian.org so there's not much to try.
Any idea where to find it? I'd be glad to try and test a sarge
nubus-kernel.

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.27-nubus

Sure, you need a running system, and at least sarge apt sources, but hey.

The system runs allright. How do I know if my apt-sources are sarge? I run a testing distribution.
If I compile the 2.4.27-nubus kernel with sarge apt-sources I get a 2.6.8 nubus-kernel?

Regards,

Ernest Demaret