Re: Power Mac 6100/66

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 10:35:29AM +0200, Ernest Demaret wrote:
> Op 14-sep-05 om 9:54 heeft Sven Luther het volgende geschreven:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 08:41:52AM +0200, Ernest Demaret wrote:
> >
> > > Op 13-sep-05 om 18:09 heeft Sven Luther het volgende geschreven:

> > > I tried that but couldn't get the kernel properly patched.
> > > What can cause the kernel to be patched on one machine and not on
> > > the
> > > other?
> > >

> > Ah, maybe horms broke them while doing secutiry updates, in this
> > case, you
> > should file a bug report.
> >
> > How do you do the patching anyway ?
> >

> I do the patching as I found described on the web:
> >From the kernel-source directory "zcat <patch> | patch -p0
> It works but I get a lot of error messages along the way.
> Files the patch can't find and such.

and what do you patch ? The debian kernel sources ? the upstream sources ?
Which version of them.

> I'm not a programmer but a user who likes to experiment and try things
> so I have to rely on what I find in manuals and howto's in the web.
> It's a hobby and I learn on the way.

The more reason to try out the debian package, and provide a bug report if it
doesn't work, so more knowledgeable people can try fixing them.

> > > As far as I know the 2.4.27 kernel is the highest version for a
> > > 8100/110.
> > > I haven't tried that, but if you think it might work I'll give it
> > > try.
> > >

> > Please do, and file a bug report if it does not.
> >

> I found no sarge nubus-kernel at debian.org so there's not much to try.
> Any idea where to find it? I'd be glad to try and test a sarge
> nubus-kernel.

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.27-nubus

Sure, you need a running system, and at least sarge apt sources, but hey.

Friendly,

Sven Luther