Re: Power Mac 6100/66

Op 13-sep-05 om 18:09 heeft Sven Luther het volgende geschreven:
On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 05:42:55PM +0200, Ernest Demaret wrote:
Try :

apt-get source kernel-patch-powerpc-2.4.27

And look a bit into it. What would be of interest to you is the
config/nubus
file or something such. You can disable the builds of the non-nubus
configs in
debian/flavours.

the patch is taken from the nubus project, at sourceforge i think.

If you go working on that one, it would be great if you where to
try it out
with the official kernel, so that futur debian/nubus users could
profit from
it too.

I think the developer was Joel (?) Knight or someone such, and both
the patch
and the config file are from him, so it is well possible that it
will work. He
posted here at the start of the year or something.

That's something I already tried... I tried different patches (from
different sources) but nothing seems to work.
My problem is that I can't get the kernel tree to be patched without
lots of errors so a compile from that invalid patched tree won't give
me a working kernel...

Yeah, i know, but i managed to get that one going, and if i remember well, the
2.4.27 patch applied fine on the debian kernel-source.

I've tried to find an already nubus-patched kernel tree but that
doesn't seem to excist.

wrong :)

kernel-source-2.4.27 and kernel-patch-2.4.27-nubus should do the trick.

I tried that but couldn't get the kernel properly patched.
What can cause the kernel to be patched on one machine and not on the other?

Is it possible to identify the developer of a kernel? He might be able
to provide the tree from which my kernel is made of (which is stable as
far as I've experienced).

No idea, but i doubt it is meaningfull to go hunting after a the history of a
given binary kernel, it is more constructive to start from the existing source
code in the debian kernel. Did you try the sarge -nubus kernel at all ?

As far as I know the 2.4.27 kernel is the highest version for a 8100/110.
I haven't tried that, but if you think it might work I'll give it a try.

Regards,

Ernest Demaret