Xfree86 - DRI accel with rage128 (WAS Re: Playing DVDs on Debian)

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 16:42, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 18:25, Adam wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 10:47, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 00:40, Adam wrote:
>

> <--SNIP-->
>

> > > You built the drm-trunk modules for your 2.4.25 kernel right?
> > Yes.  Wtih the trunk packages and modules installed I could not start x
> > even with the fbdev driver.  So I took them back out and tried using ati
> > as the driver in XF86Config-4 file and that still did not work but with
> > the fbdev driver I can start x back up.  I have never been able to use
> > the proper xdrivers. :(  I have included also my .config file for my
> > kernel version.
> >
> > I have reinstalled the trunk packages and modules but no matter what
> > driver I use, I still can't get x to start.
> >
> > > Try just using "ati" in the XF86Config-4 file for the driver.  I believe
> > > that autodetects what it needs to load and takes care of it for you.
> > >

> > Xoutput errors....
> >
> > XFree86 Version 4.3.99.12 (DRI trunk)
> > Release Date: 10 September 2003
> > X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
> > Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.3-ben1 ppc [ELF]
> > Current Operating System: Linux asterix 2.4.25-ben1.asterix3 #1 Sun Jun 27 10:34:57 PDT 2004 ppc
> > Build Date: 05 March 2004
> > Changelog Date: 10 September 2003
> >         Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
> >         to make sure that you have the latest version.
> > Module Loader present
> > Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
> >         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
> >         (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> > (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Thu Jul  8 15:56:15 2004
> > (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
> > Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri-trunk/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_clip.o":  No symbols found
> > Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri-trunk/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_norm.o":  No symbols found
> > Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri-trunk/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_xform.o":  No symbols found
> > Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri-trunk/fonts/libspeedo.a:spencode.o":  No symbols found
> > (EE) R128(0): Cannot read V_BIOS (5)
> > (EE) R128(0): No DFP detected
> >
> >    *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
> >    *** be the reason for the server aborting.
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > Caught signal 7.  Server aborting
> >

> > > Kernel wise, you should have the (uninorth support in the kernel config)
> > > agpgart module loaded or compiled into the kernel.  Have the r128 module
> > > loaded.  Give X another shot and let us know what happens.
> > I have each of those compiled into the kernel
> >
> > > Just to double check one more thing please show us your yaboot.conf
> > > file.  Some quick googling suggests video=atyfb128 as an option to try
> > > as well.
> >

> > -adam
>
> It looks like you've done everything according to what is known to
> [...]

Should I continue to work with the different trunk packages I installed
on the system.  Would other mesa packages cause some conflicts with the
trunk packages.  Not being able to removed my self from the fbdev driver
is also keeping me from using the 2.6 kernel.

Also I have the ati rage128 drivers compiled in the kernel and I am
wondering if that can be causing some issues.. I am reading a webpage on
this at.... http://www.desktop-linux.net/ati.htm

I do wonder if the frame buffer in my kernel config is causing conflicts
with the r128 driver.  It must be something I have installed or
compliled in the kernel which has been making it unable to let me use
DRI with the xserver.

I have been recompiling my kernel with many diff options such as: agpart
and r128 as modules, agpart as a module and no r128 (used the trunk r128
module) and so far nothing has yet worked.

This computer is a 800mhz G4 rage128 AGP

and other ones I have not been able to get DRI or any x acceleration to
work since I have been using Linux...

500mhz G4 rage128 AGP
400mhz G3 B/W  rage128
350mhz G3 B/W  rage128