Re: Playing DVDs on Debian

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 18:25, Adam wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 10:47, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 00:40, Adam wrote:

<--SNIP-->

> > You built the drm-trunk modules for your 2.4.25 kernel right?
> Yes.  Wtih the trunk packages and modules installed I could not start x
> even with the fbdev driver.  So I took them back out and tried using ati
> as the driver in XF86Config-4 file and that still did not work but with
> the fbdev driver I can start x back up.  I have never been able to use
> the proper xdrivers. :(  I have included also my .config file for my
> kernel version.
>
> I have reinstalled the trunk packages and modules but no matter what
> driver I use, I still can't get x to start.
>
> > Try just using "ati" in the XF86Config-4 file for the driver.  I believe
> > that autodetects what it needs to load and takes care of it for you.
> >

> Xoutput errors....
>
> XFree86 Version 4.3.99.12 (DRI trunk)
> Release Date: 10 September 2003
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.3-ben1 ppc [ELF]
> Current Operating System: Linux asterix 2.4.25-ben1.asterix3 #1 Sun Jun 27 10:34:57 PDT 2004 ppc
> Build Date: 05 March 2004
> Changelog Date: 10 September 2003
>         Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
>         to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Module Loader present
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
>         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>         (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Thu Jul  8 15:56:15 2004
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri-trunk/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_clip.o":  No symbols found
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri-trunk/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_norm.o":  No symbols found
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri-trunk/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_xform.o":  No symbols found
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri-trunk/fonts/libspeedo.a:spencode.o":  No symbols found
> (EE) R128(0): Cannot read V_BIOS (5)
> (EE) R128(0): No DFP detected
>
>    *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
>    *** be the reason for the server aborting.
>
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 7.  Server aborting
>

> > Kernel wise, you should have the (uninorth support in the kernel config)
> > agpgart module loaded or compiled into the kernel.  Have the r128 module
> > loaded.  Give X another shot and let us know what happens.
> I have each of those compiled into the kernel
>
> > Just to double check one more thing please show us your yaboot.conf
> > file.  Some quick googling suggests video=atyfb128 as an option to try
> > as well.
>

> -adam

It looks like you've done everything according to what is known to
work.  You even have the right framebuffer loading from yaboot.  The
only thing I can think of is that you can try the agpart and r128 as
modules instead of compiled into the kernel.

If that doesn't work it looks like it's time for you to file a bug
report and see what the developers need to start fixing things.

--mike