Re: OT: Darwin

Ethan Benson wrote:
On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 05:59:57AM -0300, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti

Funny that I got it not from /. but from MkLinux, OSF, the OpenStep community and NeXT.

well its wrong.  they use bsd userland, stuff like find, cp, ls, mv et
al.  NOT the kernel.  the BSD kernel is monolithic and in no way would
fit into a mach setup.

Have you ever thought that things can be done, because you have the source code and it's modular and documented (commented)?

It's interesting how people not in the know have hard opinions on what's possible and what's not.

BTW, do you know more about it than Apple itself? Have you read the URLs I gave you? If that doesn't make up your mind, I can only suggest you download and read the code.

Then what they used? The whole point was not creating their own kernel, nor compiler -- just the ObjC classes.

well they did create thier own kernel, using the mach package as a
starting point.  the only bsd there is a little bit of bastardized and
ruined userland stuff, not kernel land stuff.

You're young. You do not remember how fast NeXT started from the blink in Steve Job's eyes. No time to create a kernerl.

Funny also how you talk about ruining userland. Even BSD itself wasn't ruined, just that they added bloat in the form of Mach. As for the user experience, they have their own filesystem hierarchy and stuff. I would hardly call that ruining.

That I have no experience of. But given NetBSD's age and scope I can at least doubt.

well there ya go, just because netbsd is nice on i386 means nothing on
powerpc.  porting brings instability, and each port has to mature on
its own.

You forget only FreeBSD is i386 specific. BSD itself wasn't even created on the i386, and NetBSD has porting in the center of its focus since starting. AFAIR BSD started on DEC PDP series machines.

	BTW, even by virtue of being far smaller and more mature BSD is easier to port.

--
 _
/ \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 246 96 07