Re: OT: Darwin

Ethan Benson wrote:
On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 03:17:21AM -0300, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti

OSX does not use the BSD kernel.  it uses some of the freebsd userland
(after apple broke it and fubared it)

No, no no. Mach can't support an userland all by itself, it needs servers; in Mac OS X, these servers are just one, and it is the BSD kernel minus the low-level hardware interface part.

And the FreeBSD connection is really recent, from just before the debutting of Mac OS X. It all started a long, long time ago in NeXTStep, when FreeBSD didn't even exist.

the only reason mklinux gets any attention is to support nubus
hardware.  if the mainline kernel support nubus gets decent enough i
would fully expect mklinux to finally die.

	I expect that Real Soon Now(TM)!

i disagree about the maturety part.  GNU/Linux has FAR better hardware
support then the bsds. sorry.  i tried booting netbsd not long ago on
this blue g3, it committed sukupu (sp) the moment it saw my adaptec scsi card.

	This is not maturity, but hardware (new devices) support.

What I call maturity is performance, leanness, stability, portability, stability -- have I mentioned stability?

I still think GNU/Linux (or Hurd as a possible successor) will win in the end because of the superior license, and GPL engenders hacker support, that gives us hardware support, that was your point. But as of now one is still maturing (see the 2.4 to 2.5 situation now), and the other is still being developed.

--
 _
/ \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 246 96 07