Re: OT: Darwin

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 03:17:21AM -0300, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:

> 	And it makes sense: as Mach under a monolithic kernel is only bloat, and as
> most of the services in Mac OS X are provided by the Cocoa (OpenStep,
> Objective C) layer, it pays to use a simpler, leaner, faster kernel (BSD)
> instead of the more full-featured, user-friendly GNU/Linux.

OSX does not use the BSD kernel.  it uses some of the freebsd userland
(after apple broke it and fubared it)

> 	MkLinux continues strictly voluntary without Apple support, but I can't make
> any sense of it.  If one wants Mach for its flexibility, the way is a
> multiserver architecture like GNU/Hurd's; if one wants Linux for its
> performance, Mach is only a hindrance.

the only reason mklinux gets any attention is to support nubus
hardware.  if the mainline kernel support nubus gets decent enough i
would fully expect mklinux to finally die.

> 	Perhaps your best bet would be NetBSD, have you already checked?  While I am
> much enamored of Debian GNU/Linux, the NetBSD folks have a more mature OS in a
> far more mature port to PowerPC and a more pragmatic attitude that may help in
> the short run.

i disagree about the maturety part.  GNU/Linux has FAR better hardware
support then the bsds. sorry.  i tried booting netbsd not long ago on
this blue g3, it committed sukupu (sp) the moment it saw my adaptec scsi card.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/