Re: OT: Darwin

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 04:47:07AM -0300, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
> Ethan Benson wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 03:17:21AM -0300, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti
> >
> > OSX does not use the BSD kernel.  it uses some of the freebsd userland
> > (after apple broke it and fubared it)
>
> 	No, no no.  Mach can't support an userland all by itself, it needs servers; in
> Mac OS X, these servers are just one, and it is the BSD kernel minus the
> low-level hardware interface part.

you are wrong.

> 	And the FreeBSD connection is really recent, from just before the debutting of
> Mac OS X.  It all started a long, long time ago in NeXTStep, when FreeBSD
> didn't even exist.

yes NeXTStep stole and bastardized thier userland from elsewhere.

> 	What I call maturity is performance, leanness, stability, portability,
> stability -- have I mentioned stability?

linux doesn't crash when you have an unsupported auxilary card in it.

don't get me wrong, i like bsd, but the truth is its not any more
mature then linux on powerpc, less so in reality.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/