Re: OT: Darwin

Ethan Benson wrote:
On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 04:47:07AM -0300, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti

No, no no. Mach can't support an userland all by itself, it needs servers; in Mac OS X, these servers are just one, and it is the BSD kernel minus the low-level hardware interface part.

you are wrong.

	This is no argument, so I don't need to answer... but here it goes.

	Mach isn't a kernel, it is a microkernel.

A microkernel doesn't make available all the services libc needs. It must rely on servers to do so. The idea was that there would be many servers, very specialized, and the microkernel would do message passing or whatever to keep these servers coordinated among themselves and with hardware.

The quick hack for microkernelaters who saw that the Hurd and the like was taking forever to finish was to stripe a normal, single server of drivers and some low-level function, substitute the microkernel, and voi là! a "microkernel" OS is born.

And since Mac OS X is based on Mach, and since Mach doesn't have the servers it needs, and since BSD's kernel can be the server Mach needs, and BSD is part of what constitutes Mac OS X...

	Unless you can prove me wrong.

Unfortunately it's 5h33 local time, and I doubt I will be able to come up with research to back my statements in the next week or so.

yes NeXTStep stole and bastardized thier userland from elsewhere.

Not only userland, but kernel also. From BSD, I just don't know which version. BSD is much bigger and older than FreeBSD.

	And it's not stolen.  The BSD license allows for what NeXT did.

What I call maturity is performance, leanness, stability, portability, stability -- have I mentioned stability?

linux doesn't crash when you have an unsupported auxilary card in it.

As long as you have the drivers, and drivers get created sooner and faster for Linux than for BSD.

	But the kernel itself, BSD is more mature.

don't get me wrong, i like bsd, but the truth is its not any more
mature then linux on powerpc, less so in reality.

You will have to cite something more substantial than driver support to convince me of this.

--
 _
/ \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 246 96 07