Re: OT: Darwin

On Sonntag, 9. September 2001 05:23  Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra
wrote:
[...]
> 	Perhaps you should wait not only for usability, but also for politics.
> Apple's license on Darwin isn't free, and the goodies that compensate for
> Darwin's problems aren't even available -- they're part of Mac OS X only.

Yes, that was something, I see first when I visited the darwin home and what
embittered me. Hope that they would change this policy in the way to mklinux.

[...]

> 	If you need an alternative to GNU/Linux, at least try NetBSD -- it's free
> and it's a full OS, and does not carry that stupid Mach dead weight.

Well, that's what I'm looking for, but not as alternative more as a
supplement to Linux.

> But actually, why would one want an alternative to GNU/Linux on the PowerPC?

I'm using an old Powerbook 1400c and it is not well supported by any
Linux-Distribution. Some Hackers were needed, who made the MediaBay-CD-ROM
working.
PCMCIA and SCSI is not working and sound too.
So, my idea was to look around, if others had more success to get an unix
based system running on this powerbook, or if not perhaps some components.

> Actually what we want is debugged installation, because GNU/Linux is
> already good enough, once you get it running.

What's about woody? Has it anyimproved new features that could help?

--
http://www.bbinternet.de