Re: XFree86 update question

Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@mit.edu> writes:

> I had this same problem, and still can't figure out an answer to
> it. The breakage occurred between 4.0.3 and 4.1.0 (which may have just
> made it into testing?), and I upgraded kernel-image-2.2.19-pmac at the
> same time.

Yeah, I have some troubles too.  To wit, my 'alt' key went away on me.
I don't actually use the apple alt key, because it's small, and it
also makes it hard to do mouse button emulation.

It still works fine in console mode, where I remapped it in the
console/ directory, but I'm not sure what one does to get it working
again in X.

> >switch the kernel to use linux keycodes.
> >
> Done that (long since).

Yep, and everything was working just fine.

Here is the problem:

I have 125 mapped to Alt in console/bootmap, and that sufficed for X
as well.  Now, however, X is interpreting 125 as 115, so I had to add
that to my Xmodmap:

keycode 115 = Alt_R
clear Mod1
add Mod1 = Alt_R

(Thanks to Colin Walters for sharing some config files!)

Strikes me as being a hack, though, and I'd like to figure out what
the real problem is - what changed underneath.

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/