Re: offset x screen

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 07:00:05PM +1000, Bruce McIntyre wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 02:13:37AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
> > I have fixed fbdevhw beyond the patch on that page with the help of Geert.
> >
> > I have hopefully found the bug in the fbdev driver now, please test
> >
> > http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/patches/fbdev-fboffset.diff
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/fbdev_drv.o
> >
> > which is the 4.1.0 fbdev driver built with the patch applied. If it works,
> > I'll submit it to Branden and upstream.
> >

> > > Should someone file a bug against xserver-fbdev ?
> >
> > Did you mean xserver-xfree86? Either way, I don't think it's useful
> > (xserver-fbdev is outdated) or necessary (the relevant XFree86 developer (me
> > ;) is aware of the problem).
>
> I tried your patched fbdev_drv.o in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers.
> There seems to be no change. I hope I put it in the right place!
> If you need the output of any command or configs just ask. Patching and
> building the driver is, I'm afraid, beyond me. (I probably don't have the
> free space anyway :-) ).

There is a slight change... the virtual screen does not scroll; instead it
wraps around underneath the 20 pixel margin and further... (hard to
describe.. I'll try a picture.

This is at depth of 15 with modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

"ioctl FBIOPAN_DISPLAY: Invalid argument" was repeated many times in
the console.

I tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 with the kernel FB interface option
both off and on, with no discernible change.
There is now also quite severe barrel distortion.

<- - - - - - - - - - - - - -  800  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ->

<--->  Around 20 pixels

|   |                   |                                       |
|   |                   |                                       |

|   |<-  screen starts  |<- virtual screen ends.
         and ends

<---> this portion, as well as the overlap part of the rest of the
    <-overlap----------->  screen are both displaced downwards 1
      of virtual           pixel.
      screen.
--