Re: offset x screen

Bruce McIntyre wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 07:00:05PM +1000, Bruce McIntyre wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 02:13:37AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >
> > > I have hopefully found the bug in the fbdev driver now, please test
> > >
> > > http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/patches/fbdev-fboffset.diff
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/fbdev_drv.o
> > >
> > > which is the 4.1.0 fbdev driver built with the patch applied. If it
> > > works, I'll submit it to Branden and upstream.
> >
> > I tried your patched fbdev_drv.o in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers.
> > There seems to be no change. I hope I put it in the right place!

Yep. Why can't anything just work? :-/

> > If you need the output of any command or configs just ask.

Please send me your XF86Config and logs privately.

> > Patching and building the driver is, I'm afraid, beyond me. (I probably
> > don't have the free space anyway :-) ).

That's fine, I can put up test binaries.

> There is a slight change... the virtual screen does not scroll; instead it
> wraps around underneath the 20 pixel margin and further... (hard to
> describe.. I'll try a picture.

That used to work before?

> "ioctl FBIOPAN_DISPLAY: Invalid argument" was repeated many times in
> the console.

Sounds like your framebuffer device doesn't support panning in fact.

> I tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 with the kernel FB interface option
> both off and on, with no discernible change.

That option only applies to accelerated drivers. The fbdev driver uses that
interface by design. :)

> There is now also quite severe barrel distortion.
>
> <- - - - - - - - - - - - - -  800  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ->
>
> <--->  Around 20 pixels

> |   |                   |                                       |
> |   |                   |                                       |
> |   |                   |                                       |

> |   |<-  screen starts  |<- virtual screen ends.
>          and ends
>
> <---> this portion, as well as the overlap part of the rest of the
>     <-overlap----------->  screen are both displaced downwards 1
>       of virtual           pixel.
>       screen.

Thanks for trying to describe what you see, but I'm afraid I don't get the
picture.

You are using XFree86 4.1.0, aren't you?