Re: Audio CD's on a Pismo (was Re: XFree4 on Pismo - kernel 2.4)

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 08:45:33PM -0700, Jason E. Stewart wrote:
> Trying to play audio CD's directly with xmms doesn't work as either
> root or me. Using the AudioCD Reader plugin with the OSS backend
> sounds like white noise. Using the eSound backend things play at half
> speed and pop.

 Whenever you get white noise, it's pretty likely that there's an endian
problem in one of the programs involved.  The low 8 bits of a 16 bit stream
usually have a fairly random (white noise) distribution, so if they're
getting treated as the high bits, you hear noise.

 I read that newer Macs can't play audio CDs normally, by design.  They read
the digital data and feed it to the sound card.  (this is what the audio cd
reader should do, I think).  Most CD-ROM drives have a digital out as well
as an analog out, I don't know why they didn't just connect the digital out
to the sound card, instead of wasting CPU time doing it.

> >  Or, maybe when you run as root your MP3 player sets its niceness negative,
> > so it gets higher scheduler priority.  That would help get rid of skips on a
> > machine just barely fast enough to decode MP3s.
>
> Not an issue on the Pismo. I can rip and encode MP3's while playing an
> MP3 at full speed.

 heh :)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y