Re: Custom undocumented(7)s are just as bad.

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 01:54:08AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Seth" == Seth R Arnold <sarnold@willamette.edu> writes:
>         No. But anyone who can't figure what a binary is doing after
>  looking at the sources and comments and other docs, and who is not
>  willing to go ask the author/ mailing list, should not be packaging
>  that program.

Well, put that way ...

>  Seth> Our large community model just doesn't allow for maintainers to
>  Seth> spend all day working on their programs -- to expect otherwise
>  Seth> would alienate many.
>
>         Question: would the distribution quality really suffer if we
>  did alienate them?

Probably not, at least right away. However, in the long run, if Debian gets
a reputation for being beligerant to its developers, people might move to
other distros or other free unices -- depriving Debian of perhaps their
future good work.

I am just not a fan of "if you can't figure it out, then drop out" --
perhaps a softer wording would be more to my tastes. :)

Manoj, thanks.

:)

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!