Re: Custom undocumented(7)s are just as bad.

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 03:23:27PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

>     Manoj> a) If the maintainer does not know what every binary in the common
>     Manoj> PATH is doing, he should give the package to someone who is
>     Manoj> willing to spend the time to learn the package.
>     Manoj> b) If the binary is an internal binary, it should not be in PATH,
>     Manoj> but in /usr/lib/<pkg>
>
> I disagree. Take Heimdal for instance. It is a very complicated
> package (at least by my standards), has numerous libraries and
> clients. Most of the binaries are obvious, eg telnet, ftp, and even
> come with man pages. However, some don't, eg, des, verify_krb5_conf,
> string2key.

I disagree with your disagreement. If you don't know what the binaries
do, how is the user supposed to know? It's your job to do the research
so every user doesn't have to do it on his own. I agre with manoj that
maintainers should not be packaging things they don't understand--that
just has all sorts of bad implications.

Mike Stone