Re: More FHS discussion (Was: Uploaded debhelper 2.0.09 (source all) to master)

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 12:19:09PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 11:30:55AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> > I'm sorry Joseph, but you're trying to throw years of tradition out the
> > window, and I just can't stand for it.
>
> Maybe it's because I've only been around since bo and even then I upgraded
> to hamm within 48 hours of installing bo, but this tradition seems
> completely unattainable to me.  We haven't managed to do it since before
> hamm (didn't work for slin either) and I just don't see it as possible.

In the days of buzz, rex, and bo (before I was a developer too) you
could certainly mix these reasonably well. There were some libc5 upgrades
and some dpkg upgrades which were mandatory, but nothing too serious.
(In particular, rex's dpkg (IIRC) introduced epochs.)

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).