Re: More FHS discussion (Was: Uploaded debhelper 2.0.09 (source all) to master)

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 11:05:55AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Joseph Carter wrote:
> > > What is it? I'd love to make debhelper start using that directory by
> > > default. (And BTW, is /usr/share/X11R6/man supposed to be used for X man
> > > pages?)
> >
> > No, /usr/X11R6/man should remain /usr/X11R6/man---it's part of the whole
> > /usr/X11R6-is-left-alone-for-now-at-least-even-though-we-don't-like-it
> > thing.  Just /usr/man moves.  Have a look at /etc/manpath.config for what
> > the paths are.
>
> Ok, that still doesn't address the transition. Do we worry about people
> installing potato packages on older versions of debian that can't handle the
> new man locations, or not?

Um.  Given glibc2.1 it would be Very Unsmart to try to use potato packages
on a slink system.  I don't know who came up with the idea of partial
upgradability but I'm sorry it's just not feasable given the way things
change, we just can't do it.  It was impossible between bo and hamm (other
than if you upgraded ALL of base to hamm and just kept some bo
applications), it didn't work right between hamm and slink, and it's not
going to work slink to potato.

I'm more interested in backward comaptibility---can I still install mesa2g
because I have something that needs it?  Yes I can (and have...)

> > The problem with the symlink farm is when do we get rid of them?  And how?
>
> Well we could eventually just phase them out. That is nasty though.

Extremely.

> > I think I suggested at some point a quick test for something like
> > register-dochack that makes the /usr/doc symlink if it's there and removes
> > it on package purge...
> >
> > At some point in the future when it becomes feasable to do so, all of the
> > symlinks in /usr/doc pointing to /usr/share/doc would be simply removed.
> > Pretty much that should be done by the first version of whatever package
> > would provide the dochack thing that no longer does.  =>
>
> Hm, <gack>, but it does make sense.

It beats adding and eventually removing symlinks in the package itself.

* Culus thinks we should go to trade shows and see how many people we
  can kill by throwing debian cds at them