Re: More FHS discussion (Was: Uploaded debhelper 2.0.09 (source all) to master)

Joseph Carter wrote:
> In the case of /usr/share/man, we have already a sane transition.  It's
> already in use by a number of packages.

What is it? I'd love to make debhelper start using that directory by
default. (And BTW, is /usr/share/X11R6/man supposed to be used for X man
pages?)

> Did we come up with a sane transition for /usr/share/info yet?
>

> /usr/share/doc is going to be tougher.  The biggest difficulty I've heard
> is that a million and one compatibility symlinks is not appealing, and I
> agree.  And who knows WHAT dpkg will do when /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc
> and a package moves from using /usr/doc/package to /usr/share/doc/package
> given its track record for symlink troubles.
>
> If someone goes through the trouble of testing all of that and can show
> that dpkg does the right thing I think we should have base-files move the
> directory and create symlinks right away.

I'm sure it'll break. Call me pessimistic. I don't think the
/usr/doc/<package> -> /usr/share/doc/<package> compatability linkfarm is too
bad for a transition strategy.

--
see shy jo