More FHS discussion (Was: Uploaded debhelper 2.0.09 (source all) to master)

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 04:59:39PM -0000, joey@kitenet.net wrote:
> Changes:
>  debhelper (2.0.09) unstable; urgency=low
>  .
>    * dh_compress: added some FHS support. Though debhelper doesn't put
>    stuff there (and won't until people come up with a general transition
>    strategy or decide to not have a clean transiotion), dh_compress now
>    compresses various files in /usr/share/{man,doc,info}. (Closes:
>    #40892)

In the case of /usr/share/man, we have already a sane transition.  It's
already in use by a number of packages.

Did we come up with a sane transition for /usr/share/info yet?

/usr/share/doc is going to be tougher.  The biggest difficulty I've heard
is that a million and one compatibility symlinks is not appealing, and I
agree.  And who knows WHAT dpkg will do when /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc
and a package moves from using /usr/doc/package to /usr/share/doc/package
given its track record for symlink troubles.

If someone goes through the trouble of testing all of that and can show
that dpkg does the right thing I think we should have base-files move the
directory and create symlinks right away.

<dark> Knghtbrd: We have lots of whatevers.
<Knghtbrd> dark - In Debian?  Hell yeah we do!