Re: versioned libraries dependencies

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 10:26:16AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 10:10:55AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Not always, the .cmi can also be generated from .ml, in case there is no
> > corresponding .mli, which happens from time to time.
>
> Ok, right.
>
> > > Writing a tool that scans the /usr/lib/ocaml library for incosistencies
> > > is quite easy using objinfo which shows md5sums of all imported
> > > interfaces.
> >
> > Well, you have to check that the installed version and the currently
> > built version. Provided the installed version is the last one.
>
> Yes, I was assuming that a maintainer will install the just built
> library and then perform the test.
>
> > Err, i was more thinking about a tool which would tell the maintainer if
> > he needs to bump the virtual provide or not.
>
> This is more complicated though.

Not necessary though.

The idea is to build your package with the latest version installed,
then have in the debian/rules a call to this tool, which would :

  o check the md5sum of the going to be installed packages.

  o chech the md5sum of the installed package.

  o if there is a difference, output a warning, or even stop the build.

The maintainer can then bump the version, and comment this line, and
redo the build.

i guess a simple shell script should do, of the kind :

  for i in `list of .cmi`; do
    if [`objinfo -md5sum debian/foo/$i` -neq `objinfo -md5sum $i`]
      echo "warning"
      exit 18
    fi
  done