Re: versioned libraries dependencies

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 09:16:52AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Each time you rebuild in an incompatible way ?

Sure it is, the problem is indeed the definition of "incompatible way"
:)

> So it would be mandatory to bump the version only if the .cmi do change.
> Ideally, we would have a tool which checks that.

Ok so assuming that cmis are 1-1 with mlis (and I really hope that this
is the case), rebuilding of dependend libraries will be needed only when
mli files are changed.

Writing a tool that scans the /usr/lib/ocaml library for incosistencies
is quite easy using objinfo which shows md5sums of all imported
interfaces.

We can choose between two alternatives:
1) use versioned dependencies as proposed
2) write such a tool and suggest each ocaml library maintainer to use
   the tool after rebuilding a library so that he can discover
   inconsistencies created but his rebuilding

Uhm ... (2) is not so bad ....

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney