Re: versioned libraries dependencies

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 09:37:13AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 09:16:52AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Each time you rebuild in an incompatible way ?
>
> Sure it is, the problem is indeed the definition of "incompatible way"
> :)
>
> > So it would be mandatory to bump the version only if the .cmi do change.
> > Ideally, we would have a tool which checks that.
>
> Ok so assuming that cmis are 1-1 with mlis (and I really hope that this
> is the case), rebuilding of dependend libraries will be needed only when
> mli files are changed.

Not always, the .cmi can also be generated from .ml, in case there is no
corresponding .mli, which happens from time to time.

> Writing a tool that scans the /usr/lib/ocaml library for incosistencies
> is quite easy using objinfo which shows md5sums of all imported
> interfaces.

Well, you have to check that the installed version and the currently
built version. Provided the installed version is the last one.

> We can choose between two alternatives:
> 1) use versioned dependencies as proposed
> 2) write such a tool and suggest each ocaml library maintainer to use
>    the tool after rebuilding a library so that he can discover
>    inconsistencies created but his rebuilding
>
> Uhm ... (2) is not so bad ....

Err, i was more thinking about a tool which would tell the maintainer if
he needs to bump the virtual provide or not.