Re: xstr e netclient deb packages

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 05:48:28PM +0100, Claudio Sacerdoti Coen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 17:26:46 +0100, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > Well, yes, i never use it, and all works fine ...
>
>  Well, in fact nor did I. ;-)
>  But now we have a big program that uses all of the packages of
>  Gerd and using findlib to write the makefiles is surely helping
>  a lot.

:)))

> > like the way gtk-config/glib-config does ?
>
>  touche'
>  You are right, I deliberately ignored this functionality (even if every
>  component of our project provide a *-config script). My opinion on
>  that is that if works well when you have only a few programs using
>  it. If everyone starts to write it's config, you will find
>  thousands of *-config in you CLASSPATH. But this is only IMHO.

sure, but gtk/glib is a rather big stuff.

And anyway, you are not forced to use it ...

> > So you know who are the 'official' guys then. ...
>
>  Yes, but the 'official' guys are not ever right. In fact, when
>  you speak to many person at INRIA of everything developed in/on OCaml
>  outside, they simply say to you that they have never had a look
>  and that they don't need it. (Someone is also rewriting libraries
>  for functionalities that are already provided by some libraries of
>  PXP. When I asked him if he had had a look at them, he answered
>  that he didn't know their existence and that he didn't care because
>  for him implementing them required only at most two weeks ;-(((
>  Another tipical example has been the ocaml/olabl split: only after
>  when olabl became widely used, we have had the (painful) merge.

Sure, but i am packaging the official ocaml package for debian, and if we
adopt something for debian, it would need to be well thought, or supported by
the official guys. (sicne we don't want user to comply to them about things
they know nothign about).

> > Yes, but ideally, we should not force the usage of it unless it is 'officialy'
> > accepted as a good thing.
>
>  It doesn't force anything, in fact.
>  Once it is installed, you can simply decide to use it or not.
>
>  If with forcing you mean forcing to install the package findlib, instead,
>  it doesn't seem to me to hurt too much because it is rather small.
>  But if everybody prefers not to have findlib, it will be OK for me.

Yes, but what would be nice is to not force the instalation of findlib, but
still have it work if it is installed ...

> > is it possible to have it to look for installed packages and add it to
> > dependencies automatically ?
>
>  No, this is not possible but...

Guessed so.

> > or have a simple tool/shell script that will permit any package to update the
> > findlib database, without that findlib is needed in order to install it.
>
>  ... this is surely the right way. We can simply ask Gerd to add it
>  and wait for his reactions. If he doesn't accept, then we won't have it.

Or we implement it by ourself and use it.

But this is not the right way of doing things, so best ask him, i am sure he
will agree to at least provide us information on it. Please CC any such post
to the list.

Friendly,

Svne Luther