Re: xstr e netclient deb packages

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 17:26:46 +0100, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> Well, yes, i never use it, and all works fine ...

 Well, in fact nor did I. ;-)
 But now we have a big program that uses all of the packages of
 Gerd and using findlib to write the makefiles is surely helping
 a lot.

> like the way gtk-config/glib-config does ?

 touche'
 You are right, I deliberately ignored this functionality (even if every
 component of our project provide a *-config script). My opinion on
 that is that if works well when you have only a few programs using
 it. If everyone starts to write it's config, you will find
 thousands of *-config in you CLASSPATH. But this is only IMHO.

> So you know who are the 'official' guys then. ...

 Yes, but the 'official' guys are not ever right. In fact, when
 you speak to many person at INRIA of everything developed in/on OCaml
 outside, they simply say to you that they have never had a look
 and that they don't need it. (Someone is also rewriting libraries
 for functionalities that are already provided by some libraries of
 PXP. When I asked him if he had had a look at them, he answered
 that he didn't know their existence and that he didn't care because
 for him implementing them required only at most two weeks ;-(((
 Another tipical example has been the ocaml/olabl split: only after
 when olabl became widely used, we have had the (painful) merge.

> Yes, but ideally, we should not force the usage of it unless it is 'officialy'
> accepted as a good thing.

 It doesn't force anything, in fact.
 Once it is installed, you can simply decide to use it or not.

 If with forcing you mean forcing to install the package findlib, instead,
 it doesn't seem to me to hurt too much because it is rather small.
 But if everybody prefers not to have findlib, it will be OK for me.

> is it possible to have it to look for installed packages and add it to
> dependencies automatically ?

 No, this is not possible but...

> or have a simple tool/shell script that will permit any package to update the
> findlib database, without that findlib is needed in order to install it.

 ... this is surely the right way. We can simply ask Gerd to add it
 and wait for his reactions. If he doesn't accept, then we won't have it.

 					Cheers,
					C.S.C.

Real name: Claudio Sacerdoti Coen
Graduate Computer Science Student at University of Bologna
Now at INRIA (Sophia-Antipolis, France)
E-mail: sacerdot@cs.unibo.it
http://caristudenti.cs.unibo.it/~sacerdot