Re: xstr e netclient deb packages

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 05:36:14PM +0100, Georges Mariano wrote:
> Claudio Sacerdoti Coen wrote:
> >

> >  In fact, I think that findlib is a very good and useful tool
>

> >  and that installing debian packages without using findlib means
> >  loosing the possibility of writing easy Makefile.
> I can't uderstant this point ...
> Do you mean <<easy Makefile for ocaml developments>> ??
>
> If yes, I can't agree with you since there is another way to
> simplify Ocaml related Makefiles called 'OcamlMakefile' (which
> I'm able to use ...!!;-)
>
> [take a rather long (complex) Makefile, add a line like include
> OcamlMakefile,
> then remove 80% of the rest of the Makefile ;-)]
>
> Ok, I suppose (I have no time to precisely compare OcamlMakefile and
> findlib) that findlib may be more powerfull in some complex cases  but
> these are much less numerous than
> usual cases...

Err, ...

not wanting to go into a war between both of them.

I personnaly much prefer Makefile code i have written myself. It is nice, does
all i want (like compilation in a separate directory, one common config
directory for the whole tree, recursive builds, it even do latex documentation
building. Will have to adapt it to not do recursice makes though, when i have
time), and i understand everything of what is going on.

> By the way, how can we provide a simple Ocaml/Makefile utility like
> OcamlMakefile in a package ??? The package 'ocaml-makefile' would contain
> a file (OcamlMakefile), one or two readmes (=> /usr/share/doc), ... and
> that's all!!

That is why we need to make a ocaml-utils or ocaml-contrib packaghe with lot
of this kind of stuff in them.

> Where should we store the file OcamlMakefile ???

in /usr/share/ocaml i think the policy says ...

> (/etc ??)

arg, ...

no never do that ...

Please read the packaging manual and the debian policy before packaging stuff.

Friendly,

Svne Luther