Re: RFS: mosquitto

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> wrote:

> Actually it would be great to have symbols files right from the start.
> This way, when the next library version comes out, dpkg-gensymbols will
> add the *new* symbols to the file, and when some package links to this
> library (including the other binary packages built from this source),
> dpkg-shlibdeps will know exactly on which version it needs to depend.
> This will avoid needless upgrades on users' machines - if you update
> the libmosquitto0 package to a new upstream version and some other
> package does *not* use any of the new symbols, there would be no "real"
> need for users to upgrade the libmosquitto0 package... barring bugfixes
> and stuff, of course :)

That sounds eminently sensible, I shall look at doing it this evening.
While I'm at it I think I'll patch in a linker version script so I can
hide the library internal symbols. I was thinking of doing this for
the next mosquitto release anyway, but I presume it'll cause problems
if a load of symbols listed in libmosquitto0.symbols disappear. Any
reason this is a bad idea?

Thanks,

Roger