Re: RFS: mosquitto

[actually, Paul wrote:]
> >> I: libmosquitto0: no-symbols-control-file usr/lib/libmosquitto.so.0
> >> I: libmosquittopp0: no-symbols-control-file usr/lib/libmosquittopp.so.0

[and Roger replied:]
> > I've also left these for the moment. I don't believe they are as
> > relevant because this is the first packaged version. Feel free to tell
> > me I'm wrong :)
>
> I'm not sure at all, perhaps someone who knows lib packaging better
> then me can butt in

Actually it would be great to have symbols files right from the start.
This way, when the next library version comes out, dpkg-gensymbols will
add the *new* symbols to the file, and when some package links to this
library (including the other binary packages built from this source),
dpkg-shlibdeps will know exactly on which version it needs to depend.
This will avoid needless upgrades on users' machines - if you update
the libmosquitto0 package to a new upstream version and some other
package does *not* use any of the new symbols, there would be no "real"
need for users to upgrade the libmosquitto0 package... barring bugfixes
and stuff, of course :)

Thus, it would be nice if you could generate a symbols file from
the start; it's actually easy to do - first, run:

  dpkg-gensymbols -plibmosquitto0 -Odebian/libmosquitto0.symbols
  dpkg-gensymbols -plibmosquittopp0 -Odebian/libmosquittopp0.symbols

...and then edit the symbols files to remove the Debian revision from
the symbol's first appearance version - leaving just the upstream version.

Of course, it ought to be acceptable to have an initial upload without
symbols files and then let mole.debian.org generate some for you to
include in the next version, but IMHO it would be better to have them
right from the start :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@space.bg    roam@ringlet.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
Hey, out there - is it *you* reading me, or is it someone else?