Re: ClipIt -- Clipboard manager

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 5:19 AM, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> Le Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 09:43:35AM +0200, Cristian Henzel a écrit :
>>
>> Well, I just noticed that autotools-dev is actually an indirect
>> dependency of intltool (intltool depends on automake which depends on
>> autotools-dev) so I guess if I remove autotools-dev from the dependency
>> list it won't cause any harm.
>
> Dear Cristian,
>
> it is a latent bug that will make your package fail to build if intltool stops
> depending on automake or if automake stops depending on autotools-dev.  Your
> package should build-depend on what it needs, regardless if some of these
> dependancies are also satisfied on a second or higher order by other packages.

Well, I don't see where he uses autotools-dev at all. He doesn't
update config.sub and config.guess manually or with the debhelper or
CDBS helpers. What else is autotools-dev used for?

I suppose if anything, it's automake that is not directly depending on
but should. (Though the likelihood of dh-autoreconf ever not depending
on automake seems slim.)

Thanks,

Andrew Starr-Bochicchio