Re: Use of the BTS for managing sponsorship

We've had this discussion before, on -newmaint, and other places. "Go
and find a better idea" does not mean "Try and push the same idea on a
different group of people".

And, surprise surprise, there's no new content this time around.

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 04:41:47PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 03:27:17PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen ?crivait:
> > | That's why I want us to switch to use the BTS.
> >
> > This is usually called shotgun debugging.  Try another solution until
> > you find one which fits.  Obviously, this is not a good way to debug
> > problems.
>
> Well, I have reasons to think that the BTS would do better than the
> current CGI :
> - first, it would be directly linked to debian-mentors

If this list gets flooded with BTS crap then I am going to be
unsubscribing, and I doubt I'll be the only one.

> - more people know about the BTS

So?

> - the interface is mail based

There are dozens of mail interfaces out there. You can write one in
about a dozen lines of perl, it's not rocket science. And the BTS is
not a shining example of the best way to write a mail interface.

<Overfiend_> "Hi, I'm too fucking stupid to understand a 15-year old
RFC, so please file a proper bug report on punched cards.  Thanks."

> - it is easy to extract a list from the BTS to post
>   regular "sponsor wanted" messages

....not really. One of the biggest problems with the BTS is the
inability to extract data in a machine-parseable form without digging
in the backend files themselves. I vaguely recall this being one of
the most oft-quoted reasons as to why WNPP should _not_ be managed by
the BTS.

> - it's in a .debian.org machine

That is not an argument for using debbugs on master.

Moreover, _none_ of the above points are arguments specifically to use
the BTS, they could equally apply to all kinds of other systems. So
far this has been an exercise in sophistry.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK