Re: problem with ldconfig and packaging libs

On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 03:22:46AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Yes; well eveyone needs some level of 'root'ness when creating .debs,
> since files in debs, by policy, should be owned by root.  fakeroot
> lets you pretend a file is owned by root without bothering to su and
> all that.

If I understand this correctly, our petitioner was running the install
target for his library and failed with ldconfig.  Now, since this step
is optional when creating a DEB, fakeroot suffices to prevent make
from returning an error status for the impossible command (given that
he was not root.)  However, since fakeroot won't really promote a file
from joe-user to root, he still needs to run something like sudo to
build the deb. If this is so, is there any compelling reason to use
fakeroot in this circumstance?