upstream upgrade and user's files

Here's a situation I'm not entirely sure about.  Package has a new
upstream version.  New version wants users (not installer) to delete old
config file ~/.packagerc.  What should *I* (the packager) do?

I obviously can't find all the users on the system and delete their
files myself.  But merely informing the installer seems inadequate,
especially since warnings have a tendency to scroll away if many
packages are being installed.

In the long run, I'd like to try to get this fixed upstream, with some
sort of version numbering in the config files, but that doesn't help
today.  Does anyone have any suggestions, or better yet, examples of
other packages that have had this problem, and how it was solved?