problem with ldconfig and packaging libs

Hi,

I am trying to package my first set of libs. I am doing this from my
account with fakeroot. The problem is that this way, the process stops
with the following error:

ldconfig  /home/borco/debian-devel/vdk/vdk-0.5/debian/tmp/usr/lib/
make[2]: ldconfig: Command not found
make[2]: *** [install] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/borco/debian-devel/vdk/vdk-0.5/src'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/borco/debian-devel/vdk/vdk-0.5'
make: *** [install-stamp] Error 2

as the original Makefile runs ldconfig. How can I correct this ?

If I run this as root, how can I sign the package, as my pgp key was
created for my personal account.

TIA,

Ionutz