Re: problem with ldconfig and packaging libs

On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 02:38:16AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> It is bad advice for someone asking help about fakeroot to tell them
> to also use sudo or super.  Pick one and one only.

I read that he needed to have root priviledges as I have when creating
packages.  I didn't see him asking for help with fakeroot.

> If you even think that Linux itself will even *let* you do this, you
> need to do a little RTM'ing.

I did one better.  I tried it.

> fakeroot simple *pretends* it is creating files with an ownership of
> root or what-have you. It doesn't actually do any such thing.  Try it.

When I tried it, I saw it changing the permissions and ownership of my
sample file.  On trying it again, it doesn't.  I'd guess I was in a
root shell, but I remember trying to run the commands with and without
fakeroot and seeing an error when I didn't.  Oh well.  Fakeroot looks
like a fine tool for avoiding permission denied errors.

Cheers.