Re: Orange for Debian Med (Was: Help with my Debian package for Orange)

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 03:37:07PM +0200, Mitar wrote:
> Yes, but this is just a feeling. You can also say that we are doing
> daily releases. Even faster than Firefox. ;-)

Hmmm, once you are saying Firefox:  There are people who are absolutely
not happy about the new release policy (just browse the web for "firefox
enterprise support").  That this might cause serious trouble even for
distributors like Debian can be also seen on the fact that Debian
unstable has not seen a later Firefox release than 3.5 - but that's
perfectly OT here on this list.

> From technological point of view I do not see a difference between
> 0.3.1 and 0.0.123456. It is only in our heads that web believe that
> 0.3.1 is more stable or more supported than 0.0.123456. In our case,
> it is not and it will probably not be. So I do not see a value in
> faking that we have releases which mean something and then say that we
> do not support ancient versions.

Well, nobody is able or intends to stop you from doing so.  I have the
gut feeling that the idea of some release mechanism made it for some
reason in my head - but I will not put my feelings on you.  So there
are probably examples inside Debian where you might be able to adopt
your packaging stuff.  As I wrote before you should decide into what
team repository you would like to commit the packaging stuff and than
come back to ask for a sponsor (inside this team).