Re: Orange for Debian Med (Was: Help with my Debian package for Orange)

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 01:26:47PM +0200, Mitar wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> >  So for the moment I'll leave it in "Machine learning"
>
> OK. No problem. Where is this task? Already available?

   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/bio#orange
   http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/machine-learning#orange

... you see the problem? :-)
There is some name space pollution and the tasks page generating job
just has fetched the description of "the" orange package ...
So it seems that the package for "your" orange needs to be renamed
(or you start discussing with the authors of the other orange).

> > No time to check for the moment but I'll trust your word for sure.
>
> I do not trust myself because maybe I understand things differently. ;-)

:-)

> So it is not necessary to have a released version?

There are other packages which are relying on SVN commits.  I personally
have the impression that this is asking for trouble in several ways.  For
Debian it is: You need Free Sourcecode, that's all.

> Because we have
> mostly academic-driven development process where our software is
> developed constantly and do not really have some fixed releases or
> releases become old very fast.

Well, there is other scientific software that is managing some kind
of release management.  What exactly makes your software so specific
that this should not be possible?  (just provoking :-))

> Are there any guidelines how to prepare a Debian package which is
> tracking a SVN repository?

This is the first question for trouble and I do not have a sane
answer for this.