Re: Status of InVesalius packaging (Was: Status of SIGAR (Was: InVesalius packaging))

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:50:34AM -0400, Michael Hanke wrote:

> After cloning you are in the 'default' branch -- in this case master.
> The debian packaging is in the 'debian' branch (see below for reason).
> To get there:
>
>   git checkout -b debian origin/debian

I did and verified:

$ git branch
* debian
  master

There is no such dir debian/ even if there is

$ find . -name debian
./.git/refs/heads/debian
./.git/logs/refs/heads/debian

> the "source". That works great as long as you have them. Many projects
> on github don't have them. github offers a mechanism that produces
> tarballs for every tag in the repository. making a release is as simple
> as 'git tag best-ever; git push best-ever'.

I probably need to get more comfortable with git to really like this.

> In this case you can take the upstream repository right away to do the
> packaging as you know that each release corresponds to a particular
> commit. You make a branch (e.g. 'debian'), add the debian dir, and
> release from that branch. Git-buildpackage can be configured to produce
> any upstream tarball from a configurable branch automatically. You can
> place the gbp config into the debian dir to let others know about that.
>
> And now, since your clone of the repos can make use of githubs 'fork'
> mechanism, upstream will always know what you do, they can pick any
> change they like, you can make 'pull requests', etc...
>
> This is all github specific (although many things work with plain git and
> alioth just as good), but the github guys make it really convenient to do
> code/patch review (with line-by-line comments, etc.).

Well, this might make some sense somehow - however, you probably will
need to teach me some more lessons patiently if you want to profit from
my help in sigar packaging.  If you think this is a really cool method
in addition to what is written in Debian Med policy I would suggest to
copy this text to this doc.