Re: Status of InVesalius packaging (Was: Status of SIGAR (Was: InVesalius packaging))

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 09:08:54AM -0300, Thiago Franco Moraes wrote:

> I was in touch with Michael Hanke some months ago about sigar
> packaging. Acording to him, these were the problems:
>
> - build dependency 'ant' seems to be missing

??
$ LANG=en apt-cache policy ant | head -n 2
ant:
  Installed: 1.8.0-4

Ant is available since ... hmmmm, ages.

> - changelog doesn't list ITP bug number

You should file a bug report against the virtual WNPP package - just
tell me if this hint is not enough and you need more detailed
information.

> - in debian/control libsigar package has section 'lib' but should be
>  'libs' or removed

So why not changing to libs?

> - there are lots of *.ex files in the dsc (but not in git)

This should be easy to fix. (see below)

> - any reason to use --with-quilt in debian/rules explicitely? If yes,
>  then quilt build-dep is missing

This should be easy to answer if there is a debian/patches dir.

> - I saw that you build a shared lib of libsigar -- did you talk to
>  upstream about SO version management yet?

That's a more interesting question.  So did anybody talked to upstream?

> - debian.copyright is still a template

Do you need help to fill in the text into this template?  If yes just
let us know.

> - a debclean doesn't clean things properly

This just needs to be checked (Git URL would be helpful).

> I was trying to package the java binding but I wasn't able, so I
> thought to not package the java binding.

I have no idea whether this binding is actually needed for some purpose.
If not we might ignore this for the moment.  Otherwise it would be
interesting to know exactly what the exact problem was what you stopped
you.

> But the other problems I
> haven't seen yet. Michael Hanke created a branch in github to do the
> sigar packaging (https://github.com/hanke/sigar/tree/debian) and I
> forked that (https://github.com/tfmoraes/sigar/tree/debian), but I
> didn't have time to work in it.

Is there any reason not to use

   git.debian.org/git/debian-med/sigar

(or any other location at git.debian.org because it is not really Debian
Med centric)?  I mean finally it does not matter where the repository is
located but having everything Debian packaging related at debian.org
makes perfectly sense to me (and BTW has actual technical advantages for
me personally).

So I would really love to push this a bit.  For the future:  If a
sponsor / mentor finds problems like those you mentioned above in a
package and you have no idea how to proceed - just ask here.  We are
interested to move these things foreward.

Kind regards and thanks for your work on this so far