Re: Status of InVesalius packaging (Was: Status of SIGAR (Was: InVesalius packaging))

Hi,

I tried

   git clone git://github.com/hanke/sigar.git

but there is no debian/ dir in the repository.  Am I missing something?

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 09:54:04AM -0400, Michael Hanke wrote:

> Upstream has sigar on github. It felt good to stay close to upstream --
> collaborative work on github is much more efficient than on alioth. That
> being said, I also prefer to have the vcs settings in debian/control
> point to alioth and pushing to two remote repos is simple and allows
> working with both ends without compromise.

I admit I have close to zero experience with git (but I'm willing to
learn).  So I can not see in how far it has an advantage to have the
repository which is targeting at Debian packaging close to upstream
repository.  As far as I understood the workflow is:

  1. Import pristine-tar of *released* upstream tarball (not every
     single commit of their development cycle).
  2. Maintain debian/ dir and tag every Debian package release
     which does not belong into upstream source (nor its repository)

So what exactly is the point in staying close to upstream repository?