Re: Bug: Buster 10.0 Testing 20190617 Image LiveCD Will Not Boot

Hi John,

> Hello Pipo,
>
> Regarding your suggestions:
>
> 1) To video record with phone has been one thought I have had.
> The challenge is the message flashes so fast as human I cannot
> even see the messages, just the fact the messages occur.  I
> tried adding "debug" to the boot command parameters in hopes
> that might show the messages in some more tangible manner that
> in essence did not change the challenge to see the messages.

That is strange, I do not recall any messages to be flashing.

Have you tried the failsafe boot?  That would avoid some 'clear screen' flash.

Also, please specify if you got the LiveCD from a Debian sites (link?) or if

you build it yourself (and how).

> 2) I do not think firmware is an issue as I have no problems
> with the same problem Buster 10 Testing image if I choose any
> other option on the splash screen than the Live Image option.
> In addition I have no problems booting to Live image with
> Lubuntu or Xubuntu for versions 19.04, 18.04, 16.04, 15.04, nor
> with Linux Mint, nor with Knoppix, nor Centos, and many more on
> both Lenovo systems (laptop and desktop).  I also had no
> problems booting Debian Jessie 8 Live.  These Live Image boot
> problems started with Debian 9 Stretch, but due to the odd
> nature of the bug I have played the bugs in manner to enable
> me to boot to Live Image for Debian 9 Stretch.  All of these
> cross tests points in my extensive QA/Systems/OS testing
> experience to a problem with how Debian vs other Debian based
> Live Images effect the boot from the Splash Menu, ie the
> commands used to boot the Live Image as that is what Debian
> 10 Buster Testing is showing, but I cannot capture it with
> pic or video as the message flashes so fast one cannot
> really see the message.

From what you say here, I still think that it could be a firmware issue.

I do not know exactly about the other distributions, but Knoppix, for sure,

includes the firmware (non-free) packages in his distribution.

If you take the live cd from Debian then they do not include non-free packages

by default (including the firmware).

If you build it yourself, firmware (and non-free) are not included by default

(you need to specify them).

> As an important side issue it seems to me if there is an error
> due to some command parameter to boot from the splash screen
> then the process used to boot via those commands should also
> have method to pause to show the errors encountered.  I am
> spending alot of time again trying to report obvious error
> with error messages that do  not provide a means to obtain
> the error messages the Live Boot is providing.  That causes
> the reporting of the issue and error to be one of between a
> rock and hard place void.

I agree that there should be one single option and very clear end very advertised

to print error messages (and logs) to screen in a recoverable fashion.

I have been in your place before.

- pipo