Re: Bug: Buster 10.0 Testing 20190617 Image LiveCD Will Not Boot

Hello Pipo,

Sorry my replies are not thread aware.  I have done all kinds
of searching to find this mailing list on NNTP to no avail.  I
an find some of the other lists.debian.org on NNTP, but not the
debian-live.  This makes it difficult for me to reply to the
debian-live list in thread aware manner via the message-id
header of the mailing list message.

Messages only flash on the splash screen when there are errors
as best I can determine.  Until Debian 9 I did not know this as
in all the years i have used many different Debian based and
non-Debian based (SuSE, RedHat based) LiveCD images either the
splash screen stays until DE is started or at some point the
splash screen gives way to familiar many messages shortly after
the kernel is loaded.

The standard splash options of the Debian Live images do not
appear to provide a fail safe boot option that I suspect would
have no effect on the flashing error messages on the splash
screen.

The LiveCD imsage being used is the Buster 10 Testing image of
20190617 from the Debian:

<https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/weekly-live-builds/amd64/iso-hybrid/

As of this reply the 2019-06-17 images are still present.

The issue is not firmware based on several reasons.  First only
since Debian 9 has there been issues with the LiveCD images.
Prior to this no such Debian LiveCD issues.  Depending on the
Debian Stretch 9 Live version, i.e. 9.x, The LiveCD iamge will
or will not boot.  So far for Buster 10 Testing I have only
tried the 20190617 image.  Issue is not DE specific, i.e.
affects all DEs of the version of LiveCD for Debian 9 or 10.
No problems booting to Live for Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu for
19.04, 18.04, 16.04, 15.10, 15.04, 12.04, Knoppix, Linux
Mint, Fedora, CentOS, Scientific Linux (many versions over the
years), Slax,org (9.x versions Debian based only tried and all
just fine), et al. That suggests not firmware based issue per
se.  I should mentioned a few years back Debian LiveCD had a
major problem in my experience where the Kernel booted just
fine, but the DE would not start due to some odd issue with X
determining the monitor such that the screen became garbage.
If one knew what the screen was fo DE environment one could
still effect system shutdown proving it was just the video
messed up. Again the different Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Knoppix,
had no such issues yet Debian insisted it was a firmware or
hardware issue of the different machines I was using at time.
Later as of Debian 8 this X issue no longer existed proving the
issue was in fact Debian proper based.  The point here is for
some reason Debian is slow to admit an issue is Debian based
for many reasons I have no idea why.

Bottom line is the Linux Kernel boos and has booted just fine
on these and many many many machines for years, yet Debian Live
or Debian install do not behave the same on same machine for
exact same Debian version for reasons unknown that Debian will
say is firmware based (PC BIOS or Video card) when clearly the
difference of same version or even in my case exact same LiveCD
iso has different behaviour depending on what option for same
kernel version being used.

Without covering the messy details of Debian Stretch 9 only
free or including non-free LiveCD images there is clearly a
mess in the manner of how the LiveCD images are created.  This
is clear as the ability to or not boot the variant on same
two different Lenovo machines has a messy combination of
different boot successfully or not boot successfully issues
that also still include X issues, but at least not X garbage
video issues when compared to any other Debian or Non-Debian
Live Image.

The fact that with my creative approach to the Debian Buster
10 Testing 20190617 Live image that the kernel with the
initrd load, but have some sort of error that the same ISO
image does not have for the Install splash screen issues
proves the issue is in fact Debian based bug and not a
firmware bug.

I do not think I will submit any bugs on the issues I have
found.  I have no time to keep repeating what I have stated
many times and being told it is not a Debian issue when clearly
the issue is Debian specific and not a free or non-free issue.
I have been through posting Debian bugs in past and this same
going in circles on issue that over time, sadly long long time,
sorts self out.  In meantime it means those trying to use
Debian are simply pushed away from Debian to other Debian based
distributions and likely why these Debian based alternatives
exist as even then Debian still cannot absorb the clearly free
only elements of fixes or how to do basics.

I also feel I have run my course with trying to use debian-live
list as means to confirm the issues of LiveCD for Debian 9 and
10 that did not exist in Debian 8 LiveCD images.

Research I have done indicates the bug issues I have raised and
the process issues have been posted about in past.  I happened
to come from a very technical and diverse IT background of many
years dealing with bugs that engineers in corporate environment
respond is not a bug that is in fact a bug and after weeks or
months of my time in various corporate settings manage to have
engineering admit the issue was a bug and over time those same
engineering teams will contact me to assist them to deal with
issues that have been going on for few years engineering cannot
identify.  The point here is not patting myself on back.  The
point here is I have seen countless times even with hard
evidence engineering teams will deny issue exists including
seeing systems for a 600 CSR team handling their 10 million
customers fail every day so system is down over 8 hours at time
as technical services teams deal with each day that engineers
say is not occurring.  I have had other team members pass
problems to me they want me to deal with as after months are
unable to find the bug issue which turns out to be a bug for
sure, but still takes a few weeks to isolate so can report to
engineering teams.  The scope includes many different OSs,
often OSs I have never seen or used before, various embedded
systems and protocol converters, wide wide range of
hardware/firmware, et al.

I think all for their input and questions, but I will no longer
spend time on this matter on any Debian mailing list nor will
file any Debian bugs.  I have spent way way too much time on
this matter matter that in my opinion is/are Debian bugs.

I have found clearly serious bugs in very well known OSS that
have existed for years that takes systems down for hours to
months that nobody believes is possible, let alone existed for
years.  When I first identified one of these OSS issues it was
just ignored despite clear simple concise test facts
presented.  The other issue I identified has also likewise
being dismissed as does not exist.  Both have become much worse
over the many years these bugs have existed.

John L. Males
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
23 June 2019 20:35

2019-06-23 23:21:40.060975931+0000-UTC Time:
1561332100.063987283

23 Jun 23:21:40 ntpdate[10312]: ntpdate 4.2.8p10@1.3728-o Sun
Feb 25 21:22:56 UTC 2018 (1)

23 Jun 23:21:54 ntpdate[10320]: step time server 206.108.0.132
offset -0.011414 sec

Linux 4.9.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.168-1 (2019-04-12)

Modified Debian GNU/Linux 9.9 (stretch)
(Alternative to Debian determined, work in progress)

cat /proc/cpuinfo (Selected):

model name	: AMD E-350 Processor

vmstat -s:

     16026156 K total memory
      3311416 K used memory
      8701640 K active memory
      4738048 K inactive memory
      2066616 K free memory
       299300 K buffer memory
     10348824 K swap cache
            0 K total swap
            0 K used swap
            0 K free swap
    147160026 non-nice user cpu ticks
     57049936 nice user cpu ticks
    168283708 system cpu ticks
    409408335 idle cpu ticks
      2476997 IO-wait cpu ticks
            0 IRQ cpu ticks
      3680691 softirq cpu ticks
            0 stolen cpu ticks
    289226968 pages paged in
     33046508 pages paged out
            0 pages swapped in
            0 pages swapped out
   2489632846 interrupts
   2903916855 CPU context switches
   1557283473 boot time
    397272011 forks

/proc/vmstat (Selected):

pgpgin 289226968
pgpgout 33046508
pswpin 0
pswpout 0
pgfree 49205830615
pgfault 83228907917
pgmajfault 904290

/proc/meminfo (Selected):

Mlocked:             144 kB
VmallocTotal:   34359738367 kB
VmallocChunk:          0 kB
HugePages_Total:       0

vmstat --partition /dev/sda8 (Swap):

partition was not found

sar -b:

Linux 4.9.0-9-amd64 (debian) 	06/23/2019
_x86_64_	(2 CPU)

12:00:01 AM  pgpgin/s pgpgout/s   fault/s  majflt/s  pgfree/s
pgscank/s pgscand/s pgsteal/s    %vmeff

10:55:01 PM      0.00      0.05  21728.41      0.00
11826.78      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00 11:05:01
PM      0.00      0.00  22366.88      0.00  13101.99
0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00 11:15:01 PM      0.00
0.00  22106.74      0.00  12151.40      0.00      0.00
0.00      0.00 Average:         0.03      0.00  22078.69
0.00  11940.25      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00

ps -A:

%CPU  START   TIME  C CLS COMMAND             TIME  NI   PID
POL PRI    SZ   RSS    VSZ  SIZE  MAJFL  MINFL SCH STAT
TIME WCHAN

 0.0 May  8  51:09  0  TS kswapd0         00:51:09   0    35
TS   19     0     0      0     0      0      0   0 S
00:51:09 -

Message replied to: