Re: use LB_APT_HTTP_PROXY in debootstrap and for udebs

On 05/31/2012 03:14 PM, Rui Miguel P. Bernardo wrote:
> I meant that I don't have http_proxy in my /etc/profile nor in /etc/bash.bashrc.
> Having it set there with apt-cacher would make everything use http_proxy with
> apt-cacher, and apt-cacher is not squid proxy.

that was my point, so why do you want to enforce http_proxy usage during
live-build? that would make all packages fail that do download stuff
(e.g. installer packages like flashplugin-nonfree), or hooks that
download stuff.

> Because I remember getting problems like in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2011/11/msg00137.html

inconclusive, next to no information why something's failing, and needs
to be dealt with in the pseudo proxy anyway, not in live-build.

or in other words: avoiding to handle that bug you hit with the pseudo
proxies by using http_proxy for that (rather than switching to a real
proxy) is fine if you do that for your own stuff, but it's not a the
right thing to do in live-build for everyone else.

sorry for the detour of first looking at the implementation of your
suggested http_proxy workarounds, rather than to think about it and
conclude, that it's the wrong way to use http_proxy in the first place.

anyhow, as said in the last mail, http_proxy (and ftp_proxy) is gone, so
live-build behaves properly now, only supporting apt proxies within
chroot stages.

>> i remembered now why we added the apt proxy options to only set them in
>> the chroot, so i'm reverting that change in debian-next that adds
>> http_proxy/ftp_proxy to config/common.
>
> And what was that reason, please? So everyone understands why.

apt proxies are for apt only, not for the rest of the system.

> The confusion about http_proxy and apt-cacher and proxy problems made me
> ignore this manual recommendation about http_proxy over the time. Sudo
> not preserving env vars also must have helped me to ignore http_proxy
> value. I'm going to add something like Defaults env_keep += "http_proxy"
> to sudoers and see what happens later.

like said above, http_proxy stuff has been removed.

> I'm going to let this settle for now and export http_proxy every time I use
> live-build. Or maybe I'll change for squid. I'll return into this if I
> get problems
> with a not standard debian build.

see the comments from the last couple of commits on debian-next, you
don't need to do that manually.

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net