Re: Proofreading/understanding consultants/libobi.wml

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting MJ Ray (mjr@phonecoop.coop):
> > Well, I thought I've heard of free schools as a particular type of
> > school, and free education as the more general context of them, but I
> > might have imagined that from French or read it somewhere in EU stuff
> > (which often contains translatese).
>
> In France "free schools" (écoles libres) means *private* schools, ie
> non governmental schools (they're therefore "free" from governmental
> 'influence'). This *very* often means schools managed by religious
> institutions.

Yes, that's what I understood from the term originally.  Education
seems full of such contradictions, like "public schools" in England
which are not really all that public, except in one narrow sense,
while in the US, I think "public schools" are what we call "state
schools".  Teacher, heal thyself!

Regards,