Re: Proofreading/understanding consultants/libobi.wml

[note to self: should read to end of thread before replying]

Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> wrote:
>    and denominational or religious education
>
> "Enseignements libres" is a technical term for which this is the
> English equivalent; it seems to mean the exact opposite of what I
> would have guessed.  Yet further free/libre confusion!

Well, I thought I've heard of free schools as a particular type of
school, and free education as the more general context of them, but I
might have imagined that from French or read it somewhere in EU stuff
(which often contains translatese).

[...]
>    in conditions of social insecurity.
>
> "En situation de précarité" is French sociopolitical jargon, which
> as far as I know doesn't have a standard English translation.

I think I've seen "in precarious situations" and "in vulnerable
communities" if that means what I think it means.  However, it's not
entirely obvious to me whether the jargony meaning was meant, so I
used the more conservative translation.

To me, "in conditions of social insecurity" brings an entirely
different, somewhat inappropriate meaning!

Regards,
--
MJR/slef