Re: Request for English debconf template review

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 04:52:24AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> > [Please respect M-F-T on replies, I'm not subscribed to this list.]

> [Please follow the lists code.  I'm using a normal mailer.]

I haven't done anything that doesn't follow the lists code.  On the
contrary, I *did* request Cc:s per the lists policy, by means of a
Mail-Followup-To header which, regardless of whether it's a standard
implemented by your mailer, is a commonly recognized convention on Debian
mailing lists.

> [...]
> >  + Most services that use Pluggable Authentication Modules need to
> >  + be restarted to use modules built for this new version of libpam.

> > If the user doesn't figure out that Pluggable Authentication Modules == PAM,
> > I don't see any reason to waste the space explaining it. :)

> Debatable, but I think that seems a bit arrogant.

It's not arrogance, it's that anyone who doesn't already know that Pluggable
Authentication Modules == PAM also doesn't /need/ to know that in order to
understand the debconf question.  Actually, for this reason I'm inclined to
still just write 'PAM' without expansion, since that also saves translators
the bother of translating Pluggable Authentication Modules and then having
to use space on a parenthetical just so the technical folks can figure out
what the translation refers to.

> Maybe should lose the leading caps too.
> http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/CMS_FAQ/Abbreviations/Abbreviations01.html

Er, "Pluggable Authentication Modules" is a proper name for a standard and
an API.

> [...]
> > > - Among the services that require restarting are the display managers kdm,
> [...]

> > Stylistically, I prefer my original again. :)  But thanks for the
> > suggestions.

> My main motive was I don't like the roundabout of "Among the services..."
> I'd even prefer "Services that require restarting include..."

Of all the options, I still prefer the original.

> At least, the original should lose the commas in front of "and" in lists
> http://www.bartleby.com/141/strunk.html#2

Um, the link you're citing recommends exactly the opposite.  (And even if it
didn't, I'm well aware that both patterns enjoy wide usage and am perfectly
content to ignore any style guide that presumes to impose a no-comma rule on
me as a native speaker. :)

> and pick either "that service" or "this service" at the end.

Ah, fair point; switched to "that service" for consistency.

Thanks,