Re: Request for English debconf template review
Steve Langasek <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> Does anyone see a way that these templates could be further shortened
> without losing key information? Or anything that should otherwise be
> improved here?
Here's my attempt. Hope I didn't declare too much as "non-key".
I also saved a bit of space by removing a redundant "modules" then
lost it again by expanding PAM on first use...
--- libpam0g.templates.orig 2007-08-29 14:20:06.000000000 +0100
+++ libpam0g.templates 2007-08-29 14:31:04.000000000 +0100
@@ -1,20 +1,20 @@
_Description: Services to restart for PAM library upgrade:
- Most PAM-using services that are running at the time of upgrade must be
- restarted before they can use PAM modules built against this new version
- of libpam.
+ Most services that use Pluggable Authentication Modules (PAM) need to
+ be restarted to use modules built for this new version of libpam.
- Please check the following list of services detected for restart and
- correct it if needed. The services are listed by the names of the init
- scripts in /etc/init.d and must be separated by spaces. To avoid
- restarting any services at this time, use an empty list.
+ The following list of services were detected as running now and
+ needing a restart. Please check it and correct if needed. Services
+ are listed as init.d script names and must be separated by spaces.
+ To avoid restarting any services at this time, empty the list.
- Among the services that require restarting are the display managers kdm,
- wdm, and xdm. If you are upgrading from within an X session started with
+ Display managers kdm, wdm and xdm may require restarting.
+ If you are upgrading from within an X session started with
one of these display managers, restarting that service will terminate your
- X session. It is recommended that you remove this service from the
- list here and restart it later at your convenience.
+ X session. It is recommended that you remove that service from this
+ list and restart it manually at a more convenient time.
Other services that use PAM but cannot be restarted for you include
xscreensaver, gnome-screensaver, and xlockmore. You will not be able to
Hope that helps,
MJ Ray - see/vidu http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.
Writing on koha, debian, sat TV, Kewstoke http://mjr.towers.org.uk/