Re: [debian-knoppix] Problem: Dual booting from HD without using floppy/cdrom drive.

David GLAUDE Mailing wrote:

From: "Hans-Achim Unger" <Achim.Unger@Ing-Buero-Unger.de>
I had one small primary partition without data on it, so I did the
following.
Change the partition type to FAT 12(?or 16) bit (like a floppy).
Copy the floppy image in the partition (dd if=/cdrom/knoppix/boot.img
of=/dev/hda#).
[This make a very small HD partion that look like a floppy.]
I think the aproach is all right, but have you had a running DOS (5.x or 6.x) in this partition?

Unfortunately no.
I will try to dual boot Win2k and Dos first then.

Yes, try that

If yes then loadlin is able it start linux on ext2 partition. But I don't know wether Win2k can still start DOS. With NT this is possible.

It seems to be possible in Win2k too,
at least you can boot Win9x from Win2k.
And Win9x is almost like DOS. ;-)

I guess you can use Win9x instead of DOS, you don't have to use graphics, it ist like win 3.11

So my aproach would be:

1) install DOS on minipartition
That should be ok.
2) Install Win3k and make it boot DOS too
Too late Win2k is already installed, I don't wish to remove it.

Then you have done that already and you are finished at that point.

3) Install linux on ext2
I don't really want to install linux on an ext2.
I want to copy the knoppix directory on one of my partition.
This is currently a FAT partition.

You must give the partition a type when using fdisk. If you dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hda3 the format of the filesystem is overwriten anyway.

4) Make loadlin in DOS boot Linux
That should be ok.

Thank you very much.

David GLAUDE

PS: I will give another attempt this week-end.
I don't want to be at work unable to boot my computer. ;-)

wise choice, maybe I could give it a try myself during the weekend. I just have to install loadlin and dos. I don't need no WIN* any more.