Re: [debian-knoppix] Problem: Dual booting from HD without using floppy/cdrom drive.

>From: "Hans-Achim Unger" <Achim.Unger@Ing-Buero-Unger.de>
> >
> >>I had one small primary partition without data on it, so I did the
> >>following.
> >>Change the partition type to FAT 12(?or 16) bit (like a floppy).
> >>Copy the floppy image in the partition (dd if=/cdrom/knoppix/boot.img
> >>of=/dev/hda#).
> >>[This make a very small HD partion that look like a floppy.]
> >
> I think the aproach is all right, but have you had a running
> DOS (5.x or 6.x) in this partition?

Unfortunately no.
I will try to dual boot Win2k and Dos first then.

> If yes then loadlin is able it start linux on ext2
> partition. But I don't know wether Win2k can still start
> DOS. With NT this is possible.

It seems to be possible in Win2k too,
at least you can boot Win9x from Win2k.
And Win9x is almost like DOS. ;-)

> So my aproach would be:
>
> 1) install DOS on minipartition
That should be ok.
> 2) Install Win3k and make it boot DOS too
Too late Win2k is already installed, I don't wish to remove it.
> 3) Install linux on ext2
I don't really want to install linux on an ext2.
I want to copy the knoppix directory on one of my partition.
This is currently a FAT partition.
> 4) Make loadlin in DOS boot Linux
That should be ok.

Thank you very much.

David GLAUDE

PS: I will give another attempt this week-end.
I don't want to be at work unable to boot my computer. ;-)