Re: [debian-knoppix] Problem: Dual booting from HD without using floppy/cdrom drive.

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 09:05:45PM +0200, David GLAUDE Mailing wrote:
> > I am still searching a way to "dual boot" between Win2k and knoppix.
> > I would like to teach W2K how to boot knoppix.
> > This might invove putting the floppy on a HD partition,

This will not work. I'm pretty sure it won't.
You can copy the vmlinuz and miniroot.gz and use loadlin instead.

> I am still searching a way to dualboot Knoppix and Win2k.
> I did a dangerous attempt with no success.

Alternatively you can unpack and install Knoppix on a free partition and
boot directly from there. If there is enough space.

> I had one small primary partition without data on it, so I did the
> following.
> Change the partition type to FAT 12(?or 16) bit (like a floppy).
> Copy the floppy image in the partition (dd if=/cdrom/knoppix/boot.img
> of=/dev/hda#).
> [This make a very small HD partion that look like a floppy.]

"Looks like" is not enough, it is not a floppy device for your computers
BIOS.

> [dd is very dangerous so be carefull]
> Changing the C:\boot.ini to tell it to boot Linux from partition #.
>
> However this was a total failure. ;-)
> I have just learned that loadlin can only boot from DOS (not NT/2K/XP).

Hmm, can't tell you anything about that, I never had a Windows partition
anywhere on my computers. :-)

> Currently I am searching in Dual boot howto.
> My best chances seems to be:
>  * Use lilo on a primary partition (not the MBR).
>  * Copy the boot sector on a file.

To boot WHAT?

>  * Teach W2K (boot.ini) how to boot from that boot sector.

Boot WHAT? You can#t boot a floppy image from Harddisk.
Booting from CD-Rom uses a "floppy emulation" mode called el-torito. See
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/cd-roms.html for a better
explanation.

> There might be other path to a solution, I am ready to take advice.
> But my current problem is that Knoppix does not boot from lilo on a floppy
> [I believe it use to work like that.]

It does, but only if it is a real floppy or a el torito CD-Rom image.

> Could someone help me (explain to me) how to rebuild a lilo booting floppy?
> Or how to run lilo from knoppix (maybe in a changerooted env)?

The Knoppix bootfloppy uses sylinux, not lilo. You can copy the
bootimage by dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot-en.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=18k
and then mount the floppy and edit syslinux.cfg or anything you like.

> PS: If you know that what I want do is not possible, please stop me.

Ok, I guess you can stop now and go for something that is more likely to
succeed. ;-)

What you are trying to do is running a floppy image from a HARDDISK in
"el torito boot mode". This is not possible. Your Computer's BIOS simply
won't understand your intention.

Regards
-Klaus
--
Klaus Knopper                  LinuxTag 2002 - Europes largest Linux Expo
Technical Solutions                                 Where .com meets .org